How To Help Prevent a Fire During a Gas Leak
While the building materials of a home provide plenty of kindling when a blaze breaks out, a gas fire can be another matter altogether. In both scenarios, hungry flames devour all in their path, but in a fire caused by an ignition of natural gas, explosive forces can blow out the structure of a home and cause greater demolition and even spread to neighbors more quickly. You can help prevent a disaster from occurring in your home in Centerville, UT, during a gas leak by learning and remembering this checklist.
What To Do if You Smell Natural Gas
- Ventilate the area as quickly as possible to reduce the gas concentration by opening windows and doors.
- Make sure that your gas stove or oven is turned off.
- Do not plug in, unplug or turn on anything electrical including light switches.
- Learn where the gas line is located and how to shut it off. Turn it to the off position using a wrench.
- Get everyone out of the house and safely away from a potential gas fire explosion, then call 911 immediately.
How To Implement These Safety Steps
Using electricity during a leak can send out invisible sparks that can ignite gas fumes and start a fire, as can static electricity, and even your cell phone. Your best bet is to get everyone out and then investigate the odor’s cause or get help. You should learn where your gas meter is and how the shut-off operates. Keep a wrench to use for that purpose in a set location near the meter in case you need to use it. Get your family out with as little fuss and movement as possible to avoid building up static.
Should you experience a gas fire, or gas explosion, call on fire damage assessment technicians in Centerville, UT, for help with salvage and restoration. The experience is traumatic enough without trying to deal with those things on your own. Learning what to do proactively if you do smell gas can save your home and even your life.