Recent Fire Damage Posts
How to Deep Fry a Turkey
A turkey fryer bring inside a home.
What You'll Need
• A small to medium sized turkey: Something less than 18 pounds works best.
• A very large stockpot: You’ll need a pot big enough to completely submerge the turkey.
• A fry basket or turkey brace: The brace should be big enough to hold the bird.
• An outdoor burner: Don’t even think about doing this indoors.
• Thermometers: It’s good to have an oil thermometer and a meat thermometer.
• Oil. Lots of oil: You're submerging the bird, so buy a large container of peanut or sunflower oil.
• Protective gloves/goggles/apron: Cover up any exposed skin.
First, completely thaw your turkey. Remove the neck and giblets, and the pop-up thermometer stuck in the bird. Put the turkey on the turkey brace with its shoulders facing down. The handle of the brace should stick out above the legs so you can pull the turkey out of the pot without reaching into the oil.
Find a flat, stable surface outside on which to place your burner. Make sure the area is dry and well ventilated with nothing flammable around. It’s not a good idea to cook on a wood deck because, you know, wood tends to burn. Also, the oil might splash and stain.
Davis County Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Fire Damaged Property in Bountiful Utah
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Bountiful will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 801-298-4272
For Immediate Fire Damage Service in Davis County, Call SERVPRO
Located in North Salt Lake, we can respond quickly to any of Davis County losses.
SERVPRO of Bountiful provides 24-hour emergency service and is dedicated to being faster to any-sized disaster in Davis County. We can respond immediately to your emergency and have the expertise to handle your restoration or cleaning needs.
- 24-Hour Emergency Service
- Faster to Any-Sized Disaster
- Highly Trained Restoration Technicians
- A Trusted Leader in the Restoration Industry
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Advanced Restoration and Cleaning Equipment
Have Questions? Call Us 24/7 – 801-298-4272
Whether your Davis County home needs emergency flood damage or your upholstery cleaned, you can depend on us. Our technicians have extensive cleaning and restoration training and can make your property look its best. Learn more about our residential services:
- Water Damage Restoration
- Fire Damage Restoration
- Mold Remediation
- Storm Damage Restoration
- Cleaning Services
- Building/Reconstruction Services
There's never a convenient time for fire or Water damage to strike your Davis County commercial property. Every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when the need arises for professional cleaning or emergency restoration services we have the training and expertise to respond promptly with highly trained technicians to get your property back to business. Learn more about our commercial services:
- Commercial Water Damage Restoration
- Commercial Fire Damage Restoration
Home Fire Damage - Items you must throw away!
When recovering from a fire it's important to understand that there are some things that will never be restored. These are the top items that must be replaced by your insurance company.
- Exposed Food - Any open containers of food must be thrown away. Anything that is stored in a box, cloth, or plastic should also be thrown out. Even caned and bottled items that were close to the heat should be removed.
- Pharmaceuticals - If the heat and smoke of the fire were close to any types of medicine they should be thrown away.
- Cosmetics - The chemicals of the smoke may have permeated the cosmetics leaving behind an acidic byproduct that nobody should put on their face.
Make sure that the items above are removed from the home and not used. However, make sure to take pictures and make of list of items disposed of to turn into your insurance company.
BBQ Safety Tips
The time has come for Summer BBQ
Many homeowners in the Bountiful, Utah, area will be calling SERVPRO of Bountiful to have us clean their fire damaged home because of bad BBQ practices. Here are some tips to make sure you are not one of those homeowners.
- Distance - Make sure the BBQ is at least five feet away from your home. Siding easily starts on fire if the grill is too close.
- Look Up - Many homeowners will make the mistake of grilling under an eave. When the grill flares up it will start the eave on fire causing much damage.
- Yard Care - Leaving the yard long, having weed buildup, or leaving dead plants close to the grill can start with just a spark. The dead grass or plants can cause smoke or even structural damage if close to the home.
SERVPRO of Bountiful will come to your home if you have a fire problem. We hope you don't, but we can respond quickly to clean up your home.
The 6 Steps of Fire Cleanup
Home fires can be devastating, but you don’t have to face the cleanup process alone. Hiring a fire damage professional in Bountiful, UT, can help return your home to its pre-fire state quickly and efficiently. In addition to restoring the areas most directly affected by the fire, the professionals can also handle smoke damage and soot damage throughout your house. Here is what to expect when you bring in a professional service to restore your home after a fire.
Before anything happens, experienced fire restoration specialists need to inspect your home. This allows them to determine the best way to proceed. Once they’ve assessed the situation, they should share their cleanup plan with you.
2. Boarding and Tarping
Fire can burn holes in your roof and walls, blow out windows and compromise the structural integrity of your home. To protect your home from further damage by the elements, openings can be covered with waterproof tarps. Boarding over doors and windows protects your home from intruders and prevents entry into unsafe areas.
3. Water Removal
If the fire was put out by the fire department, chances are good your home’s interior has been doused with water. The water is removed using powerful wet vacs or submersible pumps in extreme cases. The affected areas are dried completely with industrial-grade air movers and dehumidifiers. This prevents further water damage and inhibits the growth of mold.
4. Soot Removal
Smoke damage often means a layer of oily, black soot staining walls, furniture and carpets. This can be removed using powerful, specialized vacuums and other techniques.
5. Cleaning and Deodorizing
To eliminate the odor left behind by smoke, surfaces need to be cleaned and deodorized. Smoke cleaning is even carried out on the air inside your home using air scrubbers and foggers.
While smoke damage can usually be dealt with by cleaning, if floors, walls or cabinets have been destroyed by the fire, they need to be repaired or replaced. A comprehensive fire damage service in Bountiful, UT, should be able to handle everything from the assessment to the restoration.
For more information, please visit us at http://www.SERVPRObountiful.com.